Tuesday, May 20, 2014

How my 20 Mile Long Run Became 10

Plantar Fasciitis.

I've been fighting it for several weeks now.  My foot will feel better for a while, then it will start hurting so bad I hardly want to walk from my car to my office.  Since I'm expected to spend part of my time at work knowing what's going on out on our production floor (concrete), this poses a problem.  I refuse to drive a golf cart at work.  I can't bring myself to do it.  We don't have trikes, so off I go walking on the hard concrete floor.  This can tend to make my foot hurt more.  Ugh.

We took off on Saturday afternoon on the "People Trail" in a nearby town.  The goal was to run as many miles as possible while G's daughter was at her school book fair (3 hours).  The original goal was 20 miles, but I didn't want to get up at 5am to run them before taking her to the book fair.  We got in maybe 2 miles before my foot started hurting.  A few more miles, and my leg started hurting from compensating too much.  In the end, we wound up cutting the run short at 10 miles with plans to make up the other 10 miles on Sunday morning.

Yeah, Sunday morning didn't happen for me, either.  G had to run those without me.

Luckily, I should still be OK for the marathon on 5/31, since I just ran one in April.  Unfortunately, I feel like I've let G down in his training.  He should have done a lot more miles than I was able.

I felt pretty good last night, so we ran 6 miles after work.  That's 26 miles in 3 days for him.
Today, ouchie foot.  Aargh!!

Any suggestions for dealing with plantar fasciitis are welcome.  Bear in mind, I'm quite stubborn and probably won't stop running.  I may take a week or two off after the marathon, hopefully that will be enough.

Next race:  Noblesville Mini Marathon - 5/24

2 comments:

Al's CL Reviews said...

I ended up getting a pair of Sanita Clogs when I had plantar fibroma. They fit really weird as opposed to regular shoes (if you never wore clogs before), but they are really comfortable. Not sure on concrete though. Also stretch your feet and use Aleve vs. Advil.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.