Monday, December 8, 2008

Jingle Bell Run 5K - December 6

The Jingle Bell Run was scheduled to begin at 9am, or 8:45am, depending on which side of the race form you were looking at.

We hadn't agreed on a time to leave for the race prior to Saturday morning. Knowing that the race is about 30 minutes or so from my house, I got ready around 7-7:30am. Barbie called when she left her house. She said the roads were pretty bad, but she was on her way. Our first snow of the year came on Friday night.

We made it to the race at 8:30 ish and found that the race was going to have an even later start than planned. The race director was unable to be there, and the people who were taking over for her were out digging the mile markers out of the snow. It was only a couple of inches, it wasn't like it was a blizzard or something! Ah, well, that gave us more time to dread the race and try to talk each other out of running it.

Not wanting to stand around and wait, we went back to the car and started getting ready. You know, second-guessing what to wear for the weather, making sure Garmin has acquired the satellites, getting the ipod headphones untangled and ready to go. We figured we would see everybody come out of the building where the packet pick-up was taking place and meet up with them at the starting line.

BAD PLAN! The starting line was actually BEHIND the building, and everybody went out the back door when the race was getting ready to begin. All of a sudden, we looked up and saw a bunch of walkers moseying past the front of the car. What?? That CAN'T be the walkers for the RACE, can it?

Ummmm, yes, yes it can. We bolted out of the car and over to the race start. Luckily, this is a small town race, and we know the people taking care of timing. OK, so they will be taking 2:29 off our finish time. Off we go!

Let me just say, it's kind of fun to start a race late and chase everybody down. I was passing EVERYBODY! OK, so maybe most of them were walkers, but I'll take it! The course wasn't quite the same as last year. I thought there must be some shortcut at the end. Nope.
There was apparently some confusion over where the last turn should be.

Actual distance: 3.85 miles
My time (Garmin): 37:09 (9:39 pace)

We left before the race results, as we were not going to make a big deal about asking them to update our times. It was our own stupid fault that we missed the start! Barbie would have won the overall race if the times were adjusted. There was only one girl ahead of her, and not by 2 minutes. When the results are published, I'll know if the times were adjusted, but I'm happy to have gotten out there anyhow.

I didn't run all last week, as I was attempting to keep from getting a full-blown cold... my first in 3 YEARS!! UGH!!
I was out of commission for the most part on Sunday with the cold, but I'm feeling great today.

After the race, we went out for Mexican and wine (of course) and then headed home.

Later, I took the kids shopping again, and I've ALMOST finished my Christmas shopping. Of course, when the kids each want $500-$1,000 gifts, it doesn't take long to finish. One item for each kid and I'm DONE! Christmas morning isn't gonna be much of a surprise, but at least they'll have surprise gifts at my parents'.


Viv said...

Wow what an expeirence with the snow and start on your own..LOL!

I love the post race Mexican tradition. After your race reports I always want a taco.

Great on almost being done with the shopping. One grand gidt is a great way to roll...

RunToFinish said...

Funny how "planning" sometimes gets the better of us

Girl on Top said...

Passing the walkers is always fun. I need all the confidence I can get!

AKA Alice said...

I nearly snorted coffee on the screen at the visual of you racing past the walkers. hahahahahah I would have loved to have seen that!

Yay for wine (of course!)