Monday, August 25, 2008

Kirchenfest Strassenlauf 5K

This weekend was the annual Kirchenfest Strassenlauf in Highland. I celebrated with some friends by running their 5K race on Saturday morning. I knew I was in trouble when we got out of the car and jogged up to the church to pick up our race packets and was immediately drenched in sweat. Talk about your HUMID days!



The race started promptly at 8am, after the sun had already risen. The course is mostly through shaded streets in town, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. The course had a couple of small hills, but nothing too bad. I felt good throughout the run, but my lack of training kept my heartrate higher than normal and left me with an "official" finishing time of 29:47. Good enough for 6th place out of 15 in my age group. Eh, I can deal with that.



After the race, there was a long time to wait. There was a 2K race that started at 9:30am. The awards ceremony wasn't until after the conclusion of the 2K race. We kept ourselves busy much of the time visiting with other runners and handing out flyers for Barbie's race next weekend.



And then, we happened upon the free beer.



After the awards finished up (Barbie won 3rd place), around 10:30am or so, we decided to stop by a winery on the way home and just do some tasting. Angie had heard a little bit about the place and wanted to check it out. Little did we know, they were having a wine festival with all kinds of vendors and live entertainment.



Ai-yi-yi.



Stay tuned - I'll have some race pictures later this week.

3 comments:

Viv said...

Great job Tammy on the sub 30 finish! Free beer is always a primo way to finish off a race :-)

Yasmin said...

boo humidity and heat (for me, at least!)

K said...

Based on your pic... I actually think I may have seen you there... beer makes any race great... and the medals that had a guy drinking beer on them made my day... I was happy to take that little souveneir home with me...

You'll be surprised how fast your 5k time can drop.