Saturday, July 12, 2008

Hofbraufest 5K

Well, this morning's race had some highs and lows...

The highs:
Everybody was there! There were about 300 runners, so I got a chance to see a lot of the runners that I don't normally see at races. There were a lot of runners from the St Louis area that I've met over the years but only see a couple of times a year.

The atmosphere was fantastic! This was the village's Sesquicentennial, so the festival was bigger this year than it has been in previous years. You could really tell that they had put a lot of effort into it.

Free beer.

The lows:
It was HOT! The race didn't start until 8am, and it was already over 80 degrees and humid.

The race was in the open, there was NO SHADE on the course at all.

I ran my slowest 5K time ever. Garmin said 31:14, but I haven't seen the official results yet. I did wake up this morning with some stomach issues, so I didn't eat or drink ANYthing before the race. No caffeine and no fuel. This contributed to my bad time. I didn't have anything to give after the first mile.


All in all, it was a good race. I had to leave before they gave the awards, but one of the girls that went to the Flying Pig with us won 2nd place overall and there was a cash prize!

On tap for tomorrow: Long run, somewhere between 13-15 miles...

2 comments:

Aka Alice said...

Really...Free Beer? I'd LOVE that race.

Have a good long run in the AM!

Kelly said...

MMmm, free beer!