Monday, January 7, 2008

Snowman Shuffle 08

Saturday morning. Ugh! I had such a busy weekend planned, Chris had two wrestling tournaments over the weekend- all afternoon Saturday and all day Sunday. Plus, I promised Alex that I would take her and her friend to the movies Saturday night.

When my alarm went off Saturday morning, I just wanted to stay in bed. Not to mention that I've gained 30 pounds over the past 6 months or so and didn't want to be seen. Yes, 30 pounds. I'm finally owning it. I had talked to a couple of people the day before the race and confirmed that I would be there. Although, when I woke up Saturday morning, I came sooo close to making some calls and backing out. But, I don't want to be THAT person. You know the one, always saying they'll meet you somewhere but never showing up.

So, I got up, got the kids up, and off we went to the race. We had to go straight from the race to the wrestling tournament. I didn't feel bad throughout the race, except that my pace was lower than ever, and my heart rate was higher than normal. I ran my slowest 5K time ever: 29:22. Yes, I'm owning that too. I'm glad I went, the race had a good turnout with a lot of the local running group there.

The kids and I had to leave before the results, and I was sure I wouldn't place anyway. Last year, I ran it in just under 27 minutes and got 3rd place. Later that afternoon, and two wrestling match losses later, I found out that I won 1st place in my age group! Woohoo! I needed that little boost after all the garbage I've been dealing with lately.

And, then, for the icing on the cake... Chris won his first wrestling match on Sunday! Woohoo! This is his first year, and many of the boys have been wrestling since Kindergarten (he's 13), so it's fantastic that he was finally able to get a win!

2 comments:

Yasmin said...

whoo hoo!!! 2 wins in 1 day.

Viv said...

Allright, the winner runner and the winning kids, can you top that!

Great job on getting out there Tammy and kicking some booty!

You are owning up to the scale, and that is a huge step. You will be back where you were in no time.