Thursday, July 28, 2022

Tap Yard Beer Garden 5K plus I'm Silly

 I'm back up to my shenanigans. 

Last week, I was in Florida Monday-Tuesday for a tour for a project I'm working. I arrived before my colleagues on Monday evening, and I completely skipped out when they arrived at 9pm and wanted me to meet up in the hotel bar.  These two, they will close the hotel bar every night - and I needed a break from that. I've been traveling with them a LOT lately.

I had packed running clothes, but guess what? Yeah, you know.  I didn't get up and run anyway.  It was Florida. In July.  And, I hate treadmill running.

G and I did have a 5K on Thursday night - Tap Yard Beer Garden 5K. It's part of the summer series, and we missed the last one because of Covid. It was HOT, but not Florida hot. 

This race series is usually filled with super fast runners.  The last time I ran it, I was verrry close to being DFL. I am running less consistently now, so I was worried I would be last.  Not that it matters, not that being last is a big deal, but I didn't want to be last anyway.  Fortunately for me, there were a handful of walkers! Woohoo! It was hot, but there were popsickles, followed by beer.


Tap Yard Beer Garden 5K Official results:
44:43 / 14:26/mile
8 / 15 Age Group
142 / 164 Overall Place

Picture from race organizer. I'm on the far right. Plain gray tank.


Also, on Thursday, I discovered that we were registered for the Madison Mini Marathon. I haven't been running enough to complete a half marathon, but the cutoff was 3:45, and I knew I could finish one in that time.  We had also registered for a 5K locally, so there was a decision to make.
I put the decision on G.  He decided we should shoot for the Half.
I actually felt pretty good during the 5k on Thursday night, so I felt positive about that decision.

I booked a hotel (points), packed my bag, and we headed to Madison on Friday (A little over 2 hours from home). The race start was 7am, and I was NOT about to get up and drive that on race morning.

We picked up our packets and checked into the hotel. I laughed because of the size shirt I had selected. We were registered for this race from 2020. The race was cancelled for 2 years, and we were automatically deferred - which is why I didn't realize we were registered until the last minute. I've gained approximately 60 lbs since I registered for this race - Covid stress? Drinking with coworkers too much? Idk, but the shirt did not fit. Not even close. lol

We walk over to a really cute Italian restaurant. It was a beautiful evening, so we ate outside. Then, we walked over to a little ice cream shop for dessert.  I mean, we had to load up for the half marathon the next day, amirite? We got back to the hotel, and went straight to bed. I wanted to be rested up because my daughter and I had tickets to "The Devil Wears Prada" in Chicago Saturday night, so it was going to be a long day for me.

The next morning, we are getting ready for the race. Get up at 5:30am, start prepping everything. WHERE ARE MY SHORTS!?  I mean, I NEVER forget stuff when I pack. My job has me on the road more often than not, so I'm an expert at packing for a trip.  But, Uhhhhh.  Even though I was very specific about which shorts I would bring because of the pockets and such, somehow they didn't make it into my bag.  And I had brought a dress to wear home.  So, I had NOTHING to wear for the race.  Ba-dum-dum. UGH. We didn't pull everything out the night before like usual, so I didn't know early enough to try to find something local. So, G ran and I lounged in the hotel. 

Oh well. Next time. 

No comments: