Friday, March 20, 2015

Kegs & Eggs 10K - March 14, 2015

This was another race that I registered for in early January.  We wanted to get a longer distance that day, so we got up that morning and went for a 5 mile run.  I was struggling a lot on this run.  The weather was great, no rain even though it was in the forecast.  Still, I cut our distance short. Our plan was 7 miles, but I just didn't have it in me.

Race start time was 11am and location was Party Fowl in the Gulch.  A race that starts and ends at a bar?  Yes, please!

Race started and off we go.  Uphill.  AARGH!
This was a 5K and a 10K race.  The 10K was 2 laps of the 5K course.  That made it tough for me.  I knew that all of the hills we were fighting the first time were going to be even tougher the second time.  There were no big, steep hills, just the long gradual type.  I hate them all, I'm going to have to get used to them if I'm to stay in Nashville (I am).

Official finish time:  1:12:44
Pace:  12:03

The other thing I haven't mentioned before that is making running tougher for me this year - I've cut pasta and bread from my diet this year (with the exception of pizza, less often than usual).  This was the original intent because I tend to overeat those things, but I'm pretty much all low carb without even realizing I was doing it.  I don't know if I'll continue on the low carb diet for the long haul, but I am down 25 lbs since January 1 and I don't get the mid-afternoon slump at work anymore.  I'll be keeping it for a while longer anyhow.

After the race, we drank our free 16oz Shock Top and the small portion of free Hot Chicken.  It was raining at that point, and everybody was huddled under the couple of tents that were set up.  We decided to head home and get dry.  Maybe the Cinco de Mayo race put on by the same organizer will have better weather for the post-race party.

Next race:  Sunday, March 22
Music City Half Marathon

1 comment:

hailey said...

Hi, Great information! Would you please consider sharing my link to your readers? Please email me back at haileyxhailey gmail.com.

Thanks!
Hailey