Thursday, July 30, 2009

Are You Ready for Some Football??

I've been a bit MIA lately. Things are starting to get busy around here.

This week marks the beginning of my son's football season. That means practice every night from 7-9pm, changing to 6-8pm when school starts (August 17). It also means that beginning with August 8 (first game), a large part of my Saturdays will be tied up with football through October 3.

The practices will get monotonous, I'm sure - they always do. There are some good benefits of taking him to practice every evening:

  • My daughter gets more driving experience, meaning
  • I don't have to drive.
  • My daughter and I can go to the gym and work out or to the park and walk during practice (this has happened 1 / 3 days so far).
  • I'm not sitting around the house snacking all evening.

There are also a few negative points to this:

  • It's going to be tough to get my homework done.
  • Tito (my dog) is feeling very neglected. He wants to come with us, which would be fine if we knew were going to spend the entire time at the park.

In running news, I'm running a 5K this Saturday. The bad news, it's at 5pm. It was 92 degrees at 5pm yesterday. The good news, it's at a winery and the age group awards will be bottles of wine (for those participants over 21). I'm hoping for a very small turnout.

Unfortunately, I'll have to keep the wine consumption to a minimum (even though I have a designated driver). I've made plans to run 13 miles on Sunday morning with C.

~~~~

As many other bloggers have, I also recently came into a case of POM Wonderful. As much as my daughter loves the stuff, I had actually never tried any of it. I was very pleasantly surprised by how delicious it is. You know, it's healthy, there is no way it could taste good, right? Go on over to their website to see some of the many health benefits of this stuff, if you haven't heard it before.

5 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Good luck with your 5k tomorrow! Evening races are a challenge, I've done one and found it difficult to know what to do during the to not tire me out or feel too lethargic, and what to eat!

X-Country2 said...

Sounds like a steamy hot 5k. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Yes! I am ready for some football :) Sounds like your going to be busy, busy busy! :)

Viv said...

I hope the 5K went awesome! I hear football time is such a big commitment. I plan on catching up on some reading during practives. I guess a workout would be more beneficiary huh? Awesome job on the races you runner a 1/2 a 10K, WooHoo!

Lexie said...

There's always something exciting about sports starting up again. Can't you just feel the leaves starting to change colors, and a crisp cool autumn evening out at the football stadium? I will never forget the smell of the stadium from my high school football games. I hope you enjoy the start of the season and hopefully build LOTS of great memories with your kids!

Also, good luck with your 5k!